Buying Ski Property in the French Alps
Buy ski properties in the mountains
Thinking of investing in ski property in the French Alps? Buying chalet apartments and ski property in France represents an investment in high-quality property; there is a scarcity of sites available, high demand, strong potential for growth, and the added benefit of being able to use your property for your own ski holidays. Plus, the quality of on-site facilities and reliability of lettings management companies make for a hassle-free investment.
Over a period of 50 years, our property partner, MGM, has become the market leader in upmarket property development for tourism in the French mountains. A local developer, they are highly experienced in Alpine construction and design properties that are in harmony with resort architecture. Location is key to their developments, whether they are in the heart of the resort or right by the slopes. With over 25 residential complexes and hotels, our partner's reputation extends well beyond France with a high proportion of international buyers who have trusted them as a flagship developer and as an outstanding builder.
Browse the ski property programmes that are currently available for sale below. If you'd like to find out more, take a moment to complete the form at the bottom of the page and a property specialist will come back to you with more comprehensive no-obligation information*.
* Please note that after completing this form your details will also be added to the MGM
Sainte Foy (Tarentaise) - Les Fermes d'Eugénie - France
La Plagne (Paradiski) - Residence Manaka - France
- One to three bedroom apartments available on leaseback. Prices from €262,500 to €508,334 (excl. VAT).
- Two bedroom apartments still available for outright purchase. Prices from €420,000 (inc. VAT).
- Located in Plagne Centre (Paradiski) with doorstep skiing and views over Mont Blanc
- Indoor swimming pool and spa facilities.
- Ski locker and underground parking space
- Delivery: Christmas 2022
Flaine (Grand Massif) - Residence Alhéna - France
- Two and three bedroom apartments still available, from €341,667 to €520,834 (excl. VAT).
- Residence with doorstep skiing, direct access to the snow front, south-facing with an uninterrupted view over the surrounding mountains.
- Facilities at the property will include an indoor pool and spa facilities, a restaurant and childcare facilities
- Delivery: Christmas 2023
Tignes 1800 - Lodge des Neiges - France
- Apartment sizes range from 38m2 (1 beds) to up to 66m2 (2 beds)
- One bedroom alcove (from €308,334 excl. VAT) and 2 bedroom apartments (from €325,000 excl. VAT) also still available
- 1000m2 spa; indoor swimming pool, baby pool, sauna, steam room, hot tubs and gym.
- Within the renowned international Tignes Val d'Isère ski area.
- Delivery: delivered, apartments available
- Enjoy a winter ski holiday here with Ski Collection
La Rosiere (Tarentaise) - Alpen Lodge - France
- Two and four bedroom apartments still available (from 66m2 to 142m2)
- In the Les Eucherts area of La Rosière, close to the centre with easy access to the slopes
- Ski back to the door of the residence
- Indoor swimming pool and children's pool
- Hot tubs, sauna and steam room plus cardio-training suite
- Delivery: delivered, apartments available
Whilst outright purchase is pretty simple and similar to buying almost any second home, the leaseback formula is not as well known (and is totally different from timeshares).
With most owners only using their Alpine properties for just a few weeks each year and the demand for accommodation ever increasing, the French government introduced a scheme to entice owners of new properties into renting them out when not in use and allowing the recuperation of the French VAT (currently 20%).
The scheme known as ‘Residence de Tourisme’ in France, or Leaseback, has been running for over 25 years and has proven to be very popular among purchasers of holiday homes. Our property partner has already completed many Leaseback Residences in the French Alps.
The residences are built to the highest standards. You own 100% of your property and you make use of it for 2 to 6 weeks per year (in addition owners can use their properties for up to 28 days inter-season). The rest of the time, it is managed and let, and maintained by the Résidence so your apartment is paying you fixed and secure rental income.
You'll also be able to make use of superb shared facilities, for example some properties have up to 1000 m² of leisure space incorporating a spa area, indoor pool etc.
If you think that you would only be using your property for 2-6 weeks each year, Leaseback may prove the ideal option for you as you won’t have to worry about maintenance, about finding guests to rent it to, about finding cleaners and caretakers and your apartment will always be ready for you for when you decide to use it so that you can enjoy it as a holidaymaker without having to worry about anything.
The purchaser buys the freehold of a new property (within designated projects only, the "Residence de Tourisme") and then leases it back to the management company for an 11-year term. In order for someone to enter into such an agreement, there has to be an incentive. This is offered in three distinct forms depending on the chosen leaseback purchase option.
Your benefits as the owner:
- You have 100% ownership of the property
- The operator guarantees to pay you rental (fixed and secure)
- Hassle-free management and maintenance
- The operator enables you to save VAT, courtesy of payment net of tax under the leaseback scheme. You benefit from an advantageous tax regime LMNP (Loueur en Meublé Non-Professionnel – non-professional furnished landlord)
- No operating costs (water, electricity, heating, insurance, taxe d'habitation – 1 of 2 property taxes)*
* You only pay the taxe foncière and a fixed share of the co-ownership scheme charges.
Your benefits as a resident/occupant:
- Excellent facilities: reception, luggage depository, daily papers, pastries, loan of games...
- 2 to 6 weeks for your personal use (in addition to the inter-season)
- Priority reservation
- Depending on the operator, benefit from the «Exchange system» to try other résidences from the same operator
- Free entry to the leisure centre: swimming pool, hammam, sauna, hot tubs, cardio-training room...
- Preferential rates for your treatments in spa centres
If you are interested in any of the above ski apartments for sale, then please complete the form below and a property specialist will come back to you with more comprehensive no-obligation information.
* Please note that after completing this form your details will also be added to the MGM property newsletter, you can of course unsubscribe at any time.