Chalet Matsuzaka Hotel and Spa
New to our programme
- Hotel: Chalet Matsuzaka Hotel and Spa
- Country: France
- Region: Tarentaise Valley
- Ski Area: Espace San Bernardo
- Our star rating
- Hotel (Half Board)
- Sleeps 1-5
- Award-winning hotel
- Ski-in location
- Close to amenities
- Excellent Japanese Spa
The award-winning Chalet Matsuzaka enjoys an ideal, quiet, ski-in location (via the Papillon piste) in les Eucherts, with a few shops, bars, restaurants and a mini-market, all within 100m, as well as the slopes, main chair lift and ESF ski school meeting point.
A free resort shuttle bus operates from 50m of the hotel to the resort centre of La Rosière, which is 900m away (or there is a very pleasant marked footpath through the forest). The Chalet Matsuzaka is a boutique hotel of only 10 guest rooms, very professionally managed by the enthusiastic and welcoming owners, Mike and Faye who in the nineties worked in Japanese ski resorts near Nagano; upon returning to Europe, they eventually realised their dream of recreating a unique hotel with a Japanese theme in their favourite resort of La Rosière. Guests invariably fall in love with the Matsuzaka’s oriental zen atmosphere, its renowned cuisine and superb spa.
Facilities at the Chalet Matsuzaka include a reception, lounge with log fire and library; a restaurant serving a delicious 3 or 4 course internationally themed dinner, made with the finest fresh products (closed in winter on Wednesdays); breakfast is continental with hot options on request; high tea is served daily after skiing.
A particular feature of the Chalet Matsuzaka is the excellent Japanese spa, including an outdoor Japanese hot tub, sauna and 2 treatment rooms where a range of relaxing, rebalancing and recharging treatments are available, including Swedish massage, sports/deep tissue massage, Indian head massage, craniosacral therapy, reflexology and Neal’s Yard facial spa, all carried out by the hotel’s own expert team. Treatments must be pre-booked (payable locally): please enquire for details and prices. Games room with home cinema, games console and table football; free covered parking; ski lockers.
The 10 guest rooms are simply though very tastefully furnished and have satellite TV, DVD player, tea and coffee making facilities, minibar, safe, bathrobes/slippers, hairdryer, WiFi, shower and wc.
2 bedrooms on the first floor are in Japanese “Washitsu” style, with tatami inlays, shoji style curtains, bamboo parquet flooring and Japanese décor.
- Twin Hayashi room, 25m2, sleeping 2: 2 single beds, south facing terrace (with limited view)
- Double Hayashi room, 25m2, sleeping 2: king size bed, south facing terrace
5 spacious guest rooms on the second floor are in traditional Alpine style with south facing balconies and breathtaking views. Bathrooms have shower and bath, twin wash hand basins and separate wc.
- Double/twin Savoyard room, 35m2, sleeping 2: either a king size bed or 2 singles
- Triple Savoyard room, 36m2, sleeping 3: king size bed and a single
- Quad Savoyard room, 45m2, sleeping 4: king size bed and 2 singles
On the third floor are three very spacious and atmospheric suites with sloping ceilings, large windows and extensive south facing balconies affording exceptional views of the Tarentaise valley. All have shower and whirlpool bath; expresso machine.
- Snowdon suite, 40m2, sleeping 2: king size bed
- Ben Nevis duplex suite, 57m2, sleeping 4: bedroom with king size bed; mezzanine with 2 single beds for either 2 children or 2 adults
- Scafell Pike suite 55m2, sleeping 5: bedroom with queen size bed and separate sleeping area with futons in the eaves, divisible by a curtain, suitable for up to 3 children under 10 years.
Prices include (2018/19):
Accommodation on a half board basis including 7 breakfasts and high teas and 6 dinners; use of spa; covered parking.
To pay locally (2018/19):
Beauty treatments/massages; local tourist tax 1.50€ pers over 12 years/day.